Sunday, March 16, 2008

RSS Feeds - the new way of reading

This week I learnt how to start my own web log (blog), how to access a RSS reader and how to subscribe to feeds and news searches. (Since you are reading my blog you can tell me what you think.)

So, what is a RSS Feed?

RSS is an acronym which means Real Simple Syndication – its sounds technical doesn’t it? It is not as complicated as it sounds.

A RSS document or feed allows the user (you and I) to subscribe to information – a blog, news pages or podcasts – which are delivered directly to their RSS reader or Web browser. It is delivered in real time that is, the information is updated as soon as it becomes available.

What is the benefit?

RSS feeds make it easier for the reader to access his or her information as instead of visiting multiple websites to get the information it is collected and displayed in one place.

The information is collected and displayed in what is called a RSS reader. This is simply an application that aggregates or gathers information from sources such as blogs and websites in one place. There are two types of RSS readers: web- based readers that can be accessed via the internet and stand alone readers which the user downloads to their computer.

I use a web-based reader. My reason for doing so is simple I want to be able to access my reader from wherever I am. Both readers (web-based and pc-based) require the internet to access the information but only one requires my personal computer and I may not always have it with me.

I use Google reader. My main email address is at yahoo but I find the Google reader easier to use. (Maybe I will switch as I become more tech savvy but we will see.)

No comments: