For those who do not know, in Jamaica bun and cheese is the staple snack at Easter time. It is an age old tradition. Some families make their own and others, like mine, buy. I do not know how it began but if I find out I will post it.
This week I have been reading a lot, thanks to Google reader. It really helps. I have never spent so much time infront of my computer reading news before. I read about St. Vincent and the Grenadines PM Ralph Gonsalves' concerns with the US credit crunch. Also the related story of Grenada's financial pundits worrying over what will happen now that Bear Stearns has been sold to JP Morgan. Apparently they had an agreement with Bear Stearns to help restructure the island's external debt after Hurricane Ivan in 2004. This is a big deal. If the hurricane does not wreck your country's economy, the cost of rebuilding can. If the agreement is not taken up by JP Morgan it could have serious repercussions on Grenada's economy.
I also read about Tibet and Taiwan's struggle with China. I was especially enlightened when I after doing further readings on the Taiwan discovered that there were two Chinas. Yes, for a young journalist this is terrible. As one of my professors would say, "You cannot learn history without the geography."
But in my defence most of the news I have read say China not Peoples Republic of China (PRC) and speak as if there is only one. In fact, according to my research that is the problem. The PRC under The One-China policy claim to be the "only" China and people who want to do business with them have to agree to this policy. Taiwan wants to join the UN but the body only recognizes PRC.
News just read - Taiwan has a new president. Ma Ying-Jeou. One of his campaign promises was to open direct shipping and air links with China. http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/03/22/taiwan.elections/index.html?eref=rss_world
Why is this news? Because China is an emerging world power. Because of the Beijing Olympics and the need to be aware of what is happening in its host country. Because the Chinese government has ties in Jamaica, providing funds for infrastructural development.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I know what you mean about bun and cheese Claudine. :-)
My Mom is Jamaican.
I also went to UWI in Mona, so you know your post brings back great memories of buying the extra yellow/orange cheese on campus and eating it with some lovely Spice bun. :-)
Smile. What is a Jamaican Easter without bun and cheese? I am home with my family eating my fill as we speak.
Post a Comment