It has been a while since I last wrote. I have been busy. I am currently in Trinidad for a media related project. I landed last Sunday. I was without Internet for days and when I finally got it I had some "fires" I needed to put out. There is at least one glowing ember left but hopefully it will out by the end of today.
This is the last week of my online course and I need to complete my last skills assignment. This week we did multi-media. My assignment is to critique three multi media packages from MSNBC. Stay tuned they will be added shortly.
I hope to continue this blog after the course is finished but we will see how it goes. I want to look at issues such as the China and its relationship to the Caribbean. I watched a feature on channel nine in Trinidad (Its logo is a 'C' but I have no clue as to what it means) yesterday which said that Chinese products have taken the world by storm and that if Latin America and the Caribbean do not do something they may lose their tiny foothold in the world economy. The feature shows garment factories etc in China, tonnes of Chinese toys, cellular phones and other Chinese products that are sold on the world market at very competitive rates. The reporter also interviewed about three Latin American consumers; the one that stood out was a woman who said she preferred to use Chinese things because they are cheaper and easier to find.
Relating this to the Caribbean where a number of the nation states are receiving or have received aid from China I am asking myself how this will play out. Having taken aid from China we (the Caribbean) cannot necessarily dictate to that country - even if the region was not taking aid as the emerging super power they would be hard to stop.
This then takes me to a Time Magazine article published in the December 17 edition about author of "A Bull in China" Jim Rogers who gives his take on the power of China. It is a short piece but it does add the the pot.
According to Rogers, "Just as the 19th century belonged to England and the 20th century to America so the 21st century will be China's turn to set the a genda rule the roost"
One thing for sure all eyes are on China now for the Olympics. Did you catch the news where they had to out the torch three times because of Free Tibet protesters?
Anyway, home work time.
One more thing. I attended my first ever Cricket match at Queen's Park Oval in Trinidad on Sunday. I took photos for my online course assignment. The West Indies won 254/4 against Sri Lanka. It was the first win at the Oval since 2000.
This is the last week of my online course and I need to complete my last skills assignment. This week we did multi-media. My assignment is to critique three multi media packages from MSNBC. Stay tuned they will be added shortly.
I hope to continue this blog after the course is finished but we will see how it goes. I want to look at issues such as the China and its relationship to the Caribbean. I watched a feature on channel nine in Trinidad (Its logo is a 'C' but I have no clue as to what it means) yesterday which said that Chinese products have taken the world by storm and that if Latin America and the Caribbean do not do something they may lose their tiny foothold in the world economy. The feature shows garment factories etc in China, tonnes of Chinese toys, cellular phones and other Chinese products that are sold on the world market at very competitive rates. The reporter also interviewed about three Latin American consumers; the one that stood out was a woman who said she preferred to use Chinese things because they are cheaper and easier to find.
Relating this to the Caribbean where a number of the nation states are receiving or have received aid from China I am asking myself how this will play out. Having taken aid from China we (the Caribbean) cannot necessarily dictate to that country - even if the region was not taking aid as the emerging super power they would be hard to stop.
This then takes me to a Time Magazine article published in the December 17 edition about author of "A Bull in China" Jim Rogers who gives his take on the power of China. It is a short piece but it does add the the pot.
According to Rogers, "Just as the 19th century belonged to England and the 20th century to America so the 21st century will be China's turn to set the a genda rule the roost"
One thing for sure all eyes are on China now for the Olympics. Did you catch the news where they had to out the torch three times because of Free Tibet protesters?
Anyway, home work time.
One more thing. I attended my first ever Cricket match at Queen's Park Oval in Trinidad on Sunday. I took photos for my online course assignment. The West Indies won 254/4 against Sri Lanka. It was the first win at the Oval since 2000.




No comments:
Post a Comment